Mathematics study in Siberia roots back to the establishment of the Physics and Mathematics Department in Tomsk University in 1917. It was among the departments listed in the General Charter of the Imperial Russian Universities (1884). Four chairs (pure mathematics, theoretical and practical mechanics, astronomy and geodesy, organic chemistry) and two sub-departments (physical-mathematical and scientific) were established at the department. 200 students enrolled in the Physics and Mathematics Department. Famous researchers, such as F. Molin, N. Goryachev, V. Nekrasov, L. Vishnevsky and others began to teach at the established department. F. Molin was the first Professor of Mathematics in Siberia. He brought some beauty and rigour of this science into academic Tomsk. In 1933, Tomsk State University changed over to the departmental management system and sub-departments were abolished. In the year 1948, the Physics and Mathematics Department split into the Mechanics and Mathematics Department and Physics Departments. The Mechanics and Mathematics Department made a major contribution to the development of mathematical studies and education in Siberia. For a long period, it was the only department beyond the Urals training specialists for Mathematics Departments of Universities and R&D Institutes.